Almond Power Bars

Almond Power Bars

These Almond Power Bars are a perfect snack or even treat. They're a little sweet & slightly salty.  I loved having these around during these crazy busy weeks leading up to the holidays just to have something satisfying and tasty around to snack on. They'd even be great to set out at a holiday gathering. Your kids will even LOVE this great healthy snack. See below for my suggestion to add dark chocolate!

ingredients:

1 cup almonds (preferably raw & sliced may be easier, but not necessary)

1 cup almond meal

1/2 cup flax seeds

1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

1/2 cup almond butter (organic, raw)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 cup coconut oil

1 tablespoon vanilla extract (make sure it's gluten free)

1 tablespoon honey or xylitol

directions:

-Mix almond meal, almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor. (My food processor is small, so I did this in two batches, and I ground my almonds first)

-Pulse your mixture for about 10 – 12 seconds and then set aside for a minutd

-In a sauce pan melt coconut oil over low heat and add vanilla and honey (or xylitol)

-Add coconut oil mixture in food processor and pulse until ingredients are well mixed and looks like a coarse paste

-Press into an 8×8 glass baking dish (you don't need to grease your baking dish)

-Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens

-Remove from refrigerator and cut into small bars

*These bars need to be refrigerated for storage or they will get extra gooey

**OPTIONAL: Add some chocolate to make this more of a dessert! Use dark chocolate and melt in a saucepan. Pour chocolate over bars (after the bars have cooled & hardened for an hour). Once your chocolate is spread on top, stick bars back in the fridge for another hour before serving. These would be great with a chocolate drizzle too!

ENJOY!!

For more creative and healthy recipes, check out the Nutrition Plan that I follow!

Other Recipes You May Like:

10 Comments
  1. December 22, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

Michelle

Wow! These almond power bars are the bomb! I love the almond flavor and the texture. I sliced the raw almonds with my food processor and used raw honey instead of the xylitol. I'm going to make a batch of these in cookie form (flattened balls) for my gluten-loving family and I can't wait to see their reaction when I tell them they're healthy and gluten-free.

2. December 23, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

Shelly

Another thing to try for a chocolate "frosting" is 4 TBS coconut oil and 8 TBS cocoa powder, and a little sugar (I use stevia extract powder) pour this on top once the bars are chilled - I like to sprinkle walnuts on top and chill a little more until the chocolate hardens - When I made these I used raw sunflower seeds instead of the almonds and almond meal - wanted to try something different. In the fridge!

3. December 24, 2012 @ 4:29 am

Tenley Molzahn

Michelle, Please share your family's reaction! I hope they love them! And yes, honey is my preferred sweetener in this recipe! enjoy!

4. December 24, 2012 @ 4:42 am

Tenley Molzahn

Love this, thanks Shelly!

5. December 26, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Lisa

Okay, I do not like coconut - at all. How can I adjust the recipe? These sound amazing, and exactly the type of food I want to have around for that middle of the night "pick me up" during the 13 hours of overnight caretaking duties. Can anyone help? Thanks!!!

6. January 10, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

Jenn

Hi Tenley,
    Wanted to let you know that I tried this recipe and the bars were delicious! My husband is crazy about them, so we take them to work as an easy and delicious breakfast!

I had a hard time blending all of the ingredients in my food processer, so once my almonds were ground, I transferred everything to my kitchenaid mixer and blended there. Worked great!

Thanks for the great recipe!

7. January 11, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Tara

These are so so good! Taste like a salted nut roll, but better! I tested with just a 1/4 of the recipe (mainly so I wouldn't eat them all!) and made them into balls instead of bars. Then topped some of them with carob icing: a little melted coconut oil, honey & carob. Will be making more this wknd!

8. January 15, 2013 @ 1:20 am

Tenley Molzahn

Tara, that is a great idea! Yum, thank you for sharing!

9. January 15, 2013 @ 1:26 am

Tenley Molzahn

Jenn, I'm so happy to hear that you both love them! Thank you for sharing the kitchen aid tip, that's awesome. Will save me from having to do 2 different batches!

10. January 15, 2013 @ 1:34 am

Tenley Molzahn

Hi Lisa! I think you could try skipping the coconut. If you just don't like the taste of coconut, I didn't taste it. But if you are allergic or really despise it then just do without. It should turn out delicious anyway!